What is involved in resource requirements planning
Find out what the related areas are that resource requirements planning connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a resource requirements planning thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its resource requirements planning journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward resource requirements planning leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which resource requirements planning related domains to cover and 116 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
resource requirements planning, Material requirements planning, Advance ship notice, Bar code, Black & Decker, Bullwhip effect, Capacity planning, Computer software, Configurable BOM, Configure to order, Control variable, Distribution resource planning, Dynamic lot-size model, Dynamic lot-sizing, Economic order quantity, Engineer to order, Enterprise resource planning, Garbage in, garbage out, Heaviside function, Industrial engineering, Inventory control, Lead time, Least-Unit-Cost heuristic, Make or buy, Make to order, Make to stock, Manufacturing resource planning, Master production schedule, McGraw Hill, Modular BOM, Optimal control, Production planning, Purchase order, Push–pull strategy, Reorder point, Shelf life, Silver–Meal heuristic, Six Sigma, Software industry, State variable, Statistical variability, Theory of constraints, Toyota Production System:
resource requirements planning Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over resource requirements planning tasks and don’t overlook the obvious.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect resource requirements planning workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a resource requirements planning strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a resource requirements planning study?
Material requirements planning Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Material requirements planning risks and customize techniques for implementing Material requirements planning controls.
– Consider your own resource requirements planning project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How is the value delivered by resource requirements planning being measured?
Advance ship notice Critical Criteria:
Rank Advance ship notice issues and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– How can you negotiate resource requirements planning successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a resource requirements planning project?
– How do we go about Comparing resource requirements planning approaches/solutions?
Bar code Critical Criteria:
Test Bar code goals and be persistent.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your resource requirements planning strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these resource requirements planning processes?
Black & Decker Critical Criteria:
Start Black & Decker goals and research ways can we become the Black & Decker company that would put us out of business.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your resource requirements planning processes?
– What business benefits will resource requirements planning goals deliver if achieved?
Bullwhip effect Critical Criteria:
Merge Bullwhip effect outcomes and point out improvements in Bullwhip effect.
– What are the Essentials of Internal resource requirements planning Management?
– Are we Assessing resource requirements planning and Risk?
Capacity planning Critical Criteria:
Track Capacity planning engagements and mentor Capacity planning customer orientation.
– What are some strategies for capacity planning for big data processing and cloud computing?
– Do we all define resource requirements planning in the same way?
– How can the value of resource requirements planning be defined?
– Why should we adopt a resource requirements planning framework?
Computer software Critical Criteria:
Survey Computer software tasks and document what potential Computer software megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Who will provide the final approval of resource requirements planning deliverables?
– What are the short and long-term resource requirements planning goals?
– Is a resource requirements planning Team Work effort in place?
Configurable BOM Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Configurable BOM leadership and know what your objective is.
– How do we know that any resource requirements planning analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Configure to order Critical Criteria:
Grade Configure to order projects and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Configure to order is getting what it needs.
– Does resource requirements planning create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What is the source of the strategies for resource requirements planning strengthening and reform?
Control variable Critical Criteria:
Scan Control variable adoptions and report on the economics of relationships managing Control variable and constraints.
– Is there a resource requirements planning Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of resource requirements planning activities?
– Is Supporting resource requirements planning documentation required?
Distribution resource planning Critical Criteria:
Participate in Distribution resource planning projects and point out improvements in Distribution resource planning.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new resource requirements planning in a volatile global economy?
– How do we Identify specific resource requirements planning investment and emerging trends?
Dynamic lot-size model Critical Criteria:
Deduce Dynamic lot-size model results and find the ideas you already have.
– Is resource requirements planning Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Are accountability and ownership for resource requirements planning clearly defined?
Dynamic lot-sizing Critical Criteria:
Focus on Dynamic lot-sizing planning and oversee implementation of Dynamic lot-sizing.
– For your resource requirements planning project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Are assumptions made in resource requirements planning stated explicitly?
Economic order quantity Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Economic order quantity tasks and plan concise Economic order quantity education.
– What is the purpose of resource requirements planning in relation to the mission?
– What are the Key enablers to make this resource requirements planning move?
Engineer to order Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Engineer to order leadership and achieve a single Engineer to order view and bringing data together.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a resource requirements planning process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the resource requirements planning process available?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about resource requirements planning. How do we gain traction?
Enterprise resource planning Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Enterprise resource planning adoptions and interpret which customers can’t participate in Enterprise resource planning because they lack skills.
– Who sets the resource requirements planning standards?
Garbage in, garbage out Critical Criteria:
Think about Garbage in, garbage out governance and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Garbage in, garbage out projects.
– To what extent does management recognize resource requirements planning as a tool to increase the results?
– Can we do resource requirements planning without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What is Effective resource requirements planning?
Heaviside function Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Heaviside function results and raise human resource and employment practices for Heaviside function.
– What is our formula for success in resource requirements planning ?
– How to Secure resource requirements planning?
Industrial engineering Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Industrial engineering tactics and interpret which customers can’t participate in Industrial engineering because they lack skills.
Inventory control Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Inventory control visions and catalog Inventory control activities.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective resource requirements planning leader?
– Is resource requirements planning Required?
Lead time Critical Criteria:
Survey Lead time decisions and find the ideas you already have.
– With this new, full-stack approach to software delivery comes new opportunity for delay. DevOps was developed as a reaction to the long lead times required for infrastructure provisioning and integration with bureaucracy-laden ITIL processes. But what are these new sources of delay in the software development lifecycle?
– Does resource requirements planning include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once resource requirements planning is underway?
Least-Unit-Cost heuristic Critical Criteria:
Systematize Least-Unit-Cost heuristic tasks and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Least-Unit-Cost heuristic decisions.
– What management system can we use to leverage the resource requirements planning experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of resource requirements planning that make it risky?
– Are there resource requirements planning Models?
Make or buy Critical Criteria:
Chat re Make or buy strategies and interpret which customers can’t participate in Make or buy because they lack skills.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the resource requirements planning process?
– How do we Lead with resource requirements planning in Mind?
– Make or buy BI Business Intelligence?
Make to order Critical Criteria:
Use past Make to order issues and prioritize challenges of Make to order.
Make to stock Critical Criteria:
Derive from Make to stock risks and maintain Make to stock for success.
– Do we monitor the resource requirements planning decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– How will you know that the resource requirements planning project has been successful?
Manufacturing resource planning Critical Criteria:
Focus on Manufacturing resource planning quality and oversee Manufacturing resource planning management by competencies.
– Will resource requirements planning have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What are the business goals resource requirements planning is aiming to achieve?
– How much does resource requirements planning help?
Master production schedule Critical Criteria:
Talk about Master production schedule outcomes and ask questions.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once resource requirements planning is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good resource requirements planning project manager?
– What will drive resource requirements planning change?
McGraw Hill Critical Criteria:
Communicate about McGraw Hill issues and probe the present value of growth of McGraw Hill.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent resource requirements planning services/products?
– How can we improve resource requirements planning?
Modular BOM Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Modular BOM results and budget for Modular BOM challenges.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the resource requirements planning requirements in detail?
Optimal control Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Optimal control tasks and slay a dragon.
– How can skill-level changes improve resource requirements planning?
– How do we maintain resource requirements plannings Integrity?
Production planning Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Production planning management and define what our big hairy audacious Production planning goal is.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this resource requirements planning process?
– Among the resource requirements planning product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Have you identified your resource requirements planning key performance indicators?
Purchase order Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Purchase order engagements and ask questions.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which resource requirements planning models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether resource requirements planning goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– If we process purchase orders; what is the desired business process around supporting purchase orders?
Push–pull strategy Critical Criteria:
Meet over Push–pull strategy engagements and track iterative Push–pull strategy results.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding resource requirements planning?
– What about resource requirements planning Analysis of results?
– Are there recognized resource requirements planning problems?
Reorder point Critical Criteria:
Reason over Reorder point engagements and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Reorder point.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed resource requirements planning opportunities costing us money?
– Will resource requirements planning deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Shelf life Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Shelf life results and improve Shelf life service perception.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing resource requirements planning?
– How to deal with resource requirements planning Changes?
Silver–Meal heuristic Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Silver–Meal heuristic goals and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Silver–Meal heuristic projects.
– In the case of a resource requirements planning project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a resource requirements planning project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any resource requirements planning project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Have all basic functions of resource requirements planning been defined?
– What threat is resource requirements planning addressing?
Six Sigma Critical Criteria:
Participate in Six Sigma decisions and handle a jump-start course to Six Sigma.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing resource requirements planning? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Is there any existing resource requirements planning governance structure?
– How is lean six sigma different from TOGAF architecture?
Software industry Critical Criteria:
See the value of Software industry projects and devise Software industry key steps.
– Think about the functions involved in your resource requirements planning project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
State variable Critical Criteria:
Focus on State variable failures and find the ideas you already have.
– What are our best practices for minimizing resource requirements planning project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the resource requirements planning project lifecycle?
– What is the total cost related to deploying resource requirements planning, including any consulting or professional services?
– Considering a re-encoding of the state variables ?
– Considering the values of all state variables ?
Statistical variability Critical Criteria:
Consider Statistical variability tasks and finalize specific methods for Statistical variability acceptance.
– What are our needs in relation to resource requirements planning skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Theory of constraints Critical Criteria:
Derive from Theory of constraints goals and know what your objective is.
– Does resource requirements planning analysis show the relationships among important resource requirements planning factors?
– What notable similarities and differences exist among systems thinking lean thinking and the theory of constraints?
– What is this thing called theory of constraints and how should it be implemented?
Toyota Production System Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Toyota Production System governance and acquire concise Toyota Production System education.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the resource requirements planning Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
resource requirements planning External links:
Resource Requirements Planning RRP – Production …
resource requirements planning – Gartner IT Glossary
Resource Requirements Planning (RRP) – Infor
Material requirements planning External links:
Demand Driven Material Requirements Planning (DDMRP)
[PDF]1 Material Requirements Planning (MRP) – Columbia …
Advance ship notice External links:
[PDF]Advance Ship Notice (ASN) WebForms on LowesLink
[DOC]856 Advance Ship Notice – Whirlpool
Bar code External links:
Determining Product Origins by Bar Code – Snopes.com
[PDF]Factsheet: Bar Code Medication Administration – …
Bar Code Label – FedEx Ground Shipping – Multicode
Bullwhip effect External links:
What is Bullwhip Effect? definition and meaning
Bullwhip Effect Questions Flashcards | Quizlet
How to Reduce the Bullwhip Effect | Chron.com
Capacity planning External links:
Capacity Planning for Computer Systems – ScienceDirect
Capacity planning | Microsoft Docs
Capacity planning for Azure Search | Microsoft Docs
Computer software External links:
Computer Software & Service Pack – Nova Development
Computer Software | HSN
Computer Software Classes – Certstaffix Training
Configurable BOM External links:
Configurable BOM | Computing | Technology
Configure to order External links:
HP ProLiant DL360 Gen9 8SFF Configure To Order …
Oracle Configure to Order Process Guide
[PDF]ORACLE CONFIGURE TO ORDER SOLUTION
Control variable External links:
Control variable | Define Control variable at Dictionary.com
Control variable – Biology-Online Dictionary
Control variable definitions Flashcards | Quizlet
Distribution resource planning External links:
ERP Forecasting & Distribution Resource Planning …
The New Era of Distribution Resource Planning: Part 2 | …
Dynamic lot-sizing External links:
A dynamic lot-sizing model with demand time windows …
Economic order quantity External links:
Free Economic Order Quantity (EOQ) Calculator
Economic Order Quantity Calculator – …
Economic Order Quantity – EOQ
Engineer to order External links:
e2o: Engineer to Order for SAP Business One | Vision33
Custom Engineer To Order – CUSH Suspensions
Engineer to Order | DBA Manufacturing Software
Enterprise resource planning External links:
Enterprise Resource Planning
What is ERP (Enterprise resource planning)? – NetSuite.com
Enterprise Resource Planning Division | FEMA.gov
Garbage in, garbage out External links:
Data Analytics: Garbage In, Garbage Out | Dealbreaker
Industrial engineering External links:
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Industrial Engineering & Management
School of Industrial Engineering – Purdue University
Inventory control External links:
Multichannel Inventory Control Software | Ecomdash
Inventory Control Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Inventory control (eBook, 2006) [WorldCat.org]
Lead time External links:
Online Conversion – Lead Time Calculator
US Made Custom Furniture Slipcovers – Lead Time One Week
Lead Time – T.REX ARMS
Make or buy External links:
Should You Make or Buy Chicken Stock? | Bon Appetit
Should You Make or Buy Yogurt? | Tasting Table
Make to order External links:
Make to Order – QuickMBA
Make To Order – MTO
Make to stock External links:
Make To Stock – MTS
Manufacturing resource planning External links:
SOM 464. Manufacturing Resource Planning (3)
Master production schedule External links:
Master Production Scheduler Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
[PDF]Job Description: Master Production Scheduler
http://commsystems.com/corporate/TN Master Scheduler.pdf
Optimal control External links:
Running Optimal Control Shoes Sale – 13% Off & SHIPS …
What Is Optimal Control? – Business Insider
[PDF]Linear Quadratic Optimal Control – University of …
http://www.me.umn.edu/courses/me8281/notes/Old S06/Chapter 6 LQ Control.pdf
Production planning External links:
Scheduling, Analytics, & Production Planning Software
Purchase order External links:
simplifiedpo.microsoft.com – Purchase order
Purchase Order Status | OrderBase Xpress, H. D. Smith, LLC.
Purchase order – Office Templates
Reorder point External links:
[PDF]REORDER POINT RECORD – United States Army
Reorder point — AccountingTools
Reorder Point Calculator | Fishbowl
Shelf life External links:
Cialis 20 Mg Shelf Life | 1stDrugstore – unnmyxsa.us.com
Shelf Life Of Cialis | SunDrugstore
What is O-Ring Shelf Life?
Six Sigma External links:
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification – Acuity Institute
Lean Six Sigma Training & Certification – GoLeanSixSigma…
What Is Six Sigma?
State variable External links:
[PDF]State Variable Modeling – University of Hawaii System
[DOC]STATE VARIABLE SYSTEMS – UT Arlington – UTA
[PDF]State Variable Description of LTI systems – MIT
Statistical variability External links:
Develop Understanding of Statistical Variability | Quizlet
Theory of constraints External links:
Theory of Constraints (PowerPoint) – FlevyPro Document
Theory of Constraints by Eliyahu M. Goldratt – Goodreads
Explanation Of Theory Of Constraints: Sample Essay
Toyota Production System External links:
[PDF]TOYOTA PRODUCTION SYSTEM BASIC …
The Toyota Production System: What Does It Mean, And …
Toyota Production System (TPS) Terminology