What is involved in New Product Development
Find out what the related areas are that New Product Development connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a New Product Development thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its New Product Development journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward New Product Development leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which New Product Development related domains to cover and 158 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
New Product Development, Association of International Product Marketing & Management, Best practice, Brand management, Choice modelling, Conceptual economy, Consumer good, Customer requirement, Customer value proposition, Design for assembly, Design for manufacturability, Design for six sigma, Detailed design document, Engineering design, Flexible product development, High-level design, Industrial design, Integrated Authority File, Integrated product team, Market opportunity, Market penetration, Market research, Market share, National Diet Library, Phase–gate model, Pro-innovation bias, Process management, Product Development and Management Association, Product design, Product lifecycle, Product management, Product strategy, Quality function deployment, Requirements engineering, Requirements management, Social design, Soft launch, Stevens Institute of Technology, Supply chain, User-centered design, User experience, Verification and validation, Virtual product development, Voice of the customer:
New Product Development Critical Criteria:
Infer New Product Development issues and create New Product Development explanations for all managers.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to New Product Development? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– Can we do New Product Development without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– Who sets the New Product Development standards?
– How can new product development be sped up?
Association of International Product Marketing & Management Critical Criteria:
Mix Association of International Product Marketing & Management failures and adopt an insight outlook.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a New Product Development process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the New Product Development process available?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this New Product Development process?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with New Product Development ?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Boost Best practice tasks and describe which business rules are needed as Best practice interface.
– Achieving service management excellence is an on-going process. Just as an organization can never have enough sales, so they can never stop paying attention to service assurance. With service management and assurance having such a critical role for CSPs, how can they both achieve optimal service assurance delivery and implement supporting processes to ensure that best practice continues to be observed?
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of New Product Development product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– Is the use of CCM destined to become an important and requisite audit methodology best practice?
– Are we proactively using the most effective means, the best practices and maximizing our opportunities?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– What are some best practices for implementing an air gap in a our setting?
– Which is really software best practice to us, CMM or agile development?
– What are the best practices for implementing an internal site search?
– Which is really software best practice, CMM or agile development?
– What are some best practices for managing business intelligence?
– What are the best practices for Risk Management in Social Media?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– What is a best practice for selecting drives for a thin pool?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Group Brand management visions and ask questions.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a New Product Development project?
– Are accountability and ownership for New Product Development clearly defined?
– How do we Lead with New Product Development in Mind?
Choice modelling Critical Criteria:
Detail Choice modelling failures and find the essential reading for Choice modelling researchers.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a New Product Development strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What are the short and long-term New Product Development goals?
– Are there New Product Development problems defined?
Conceptual economy Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Conceptual economy tasks and proactively manage Conceptual economy risks.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting New Product Development with what users do day-to-day?
– How will you measure your New Product Development effectiveness?
Consumer good Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Consumer good failures and question.
– What potential environmental factors impact the New Product Development effort?
– What are the barriers to increased New Product Development production?
– What business benefits will New Product Development goals deliver if achieved?
Customer requirement Critical Criteria:
Study Customer requirement outcomes and devise Customer requirement key steps.
– Consider your own New Product Development project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if the change request is not executed?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if a change request is not executed?
– Does it increase the risk that the organization cannot meet its customer requirements?
Customer value proposition Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Customer value proposition outcomes and find the essential reading for Customer value proposition researchers.
– Among the New Product Development product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of New Product Development?
Design for assembly Critical Criteria:
Participate in Design for assembly quality and spearhead techniques for implementing Design for assembly.
– What is the source of the strategies for New Product Development strengthening and reform?
– How can skill-level changes improve New Product Development?
– What about New Product Development Analysis of results?
Design for manufacturability Critical Criteria:
Adapt Design for manufacturability visions and tour deciding if Design for manufacturability progress is made.
– Does New Product Development include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to New Product Development?
– How much does New Product Development help?
Design for six sigma Critical Criteria:
Define Design for six sigma decisions and intervene in Design for six sigma processes and leadership.
– How will you know that the New Product Development project has been successful?
– Do we have past New Product Development Successes?
Detailed design document Critical Criteria:
Derive from Detailed design document outcomes and devote time assessing Detailed design document and its risk.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your New Product Development project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What are the disruptive New Product Development technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective New Product Development leader?
Engineering design Critical Criteria:
Adapt Engineering design planning and finalize the present value of growth of Engineering design.
– Can we add value to the current New Product Development decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Is the scope of New Product Development defined?
Flexible product development Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Flexible product development engagements and finalize the present value of growth of Flexible product development.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as New Product Development leaders?
– What is the purpose of New Product Development in relation to the mission?
High-level design Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over High-level design tactics and transcribe High-level design as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate New Product Development delivery for example is new software needed?
– To what extent does management recognize New Product Development as a tool to increase the results?
– Is New Product Development Required?
Industrial design Critical Criteria:
Steer Industrial design issues and shift your focus.
– How do we ensure that implementations of New Product Development products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Does our organization need more New Product Development education?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Integrated Authority File tactics and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Integrated Authority File information.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once New Product Development is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How do mission and objectives affect the New Product Development processes of our organization?
Integrated product team Critical Criteria:
Frame Integrated product team leadership and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Integrated product team.
– Is a New Product Development Team Work effort in place?
– What are current New Product Development Paradigms?
Market opportunity Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Market opportunity failures and do something to it.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect New Product Development workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Do New Product Development rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Market penetration Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Market penetration risks and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Market penetration results.
– Does New Product Development appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Market research Critical Criteria:
Start Market research tasks and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Market research is getting what it needs.
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– Do those selected for the New Product Development team have a good general understanding of what New Product Development is all about?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving New Product Development forward?
Market share Critical Criteria:
Mine Market share outcomes and get out your magnifying glass.
– Are the calculated sales volumes realistic, taking into account the competitive position, realistic market share, importance of customer problem/pain and stage/maturity of customer needs?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding New Product Development?
– How to deal with New Product Development Changes?
– What drives market share?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about National Diet Library projects and achieve a single National Diet Library view and bringing data together.
– What are the Key enablers to make this New Product Development move?
– What are the Essentials of Internal New Product Development Management?
Phase–gate model Critical Criteria:
Discourse Phase–gate model management and don’t overlook the obvious.
– How do we manage New Product Development Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What is our New Product Development Strategy?
Pro-innovation bias Critical Criteria:
Analyze Pro-innovation bias leadership and slay a dragon.
– Have you identified your New Product Development key performance indicators?
– How would one define New Product Development leadership?
Process management Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Process management visions and check on ways to get started with Process management.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– In what ways are New Product Development vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a New Product Development project?
– What are the usability implications of New Product Development actions?
Product Development and Management Association Critical Criteria:
Value Product Development and Management Association tasks and mentor Product Development and Management Association customer orientation.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these New Product Development processes?
– Are there recognized New Product Development problems?
Product design Critical Criteria:
Examine Product design engagements and gather Product design models .
– Does New Product Development analysis show the relationships among important New Product Development factors?
– To what extent has the product architecture and overall product design been developed?
– Is Supporting New Product Development documentation required?
– How can we improve New Product Development?
Product lifecycle Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Product lifecycle visions and revise understanding of Product lifecycle architectures.
– Will New Product Development deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Product management Critical Criteria:
Canvass Product management management and develop and take control of the Product management initiative.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your New Product Development strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent New Product Development services/products?
– In marketplace businesses what is the optimal relationship between product management Category Management and marketing?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our New Product Development agendas for the next 3 years?
– What is the optimal relationship between Product Management Category Management and Marketing?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
Product strategy Critical Criteria:
Examine Product strategy results and intervene in Product strategy processes and leadership.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed New Product Development opportunities costing us money?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of New Product Development that make it risky?
– How well does the product fit with our product strategy?
Quality function deployment Critical Criteria:
Confer over Quality function deployment issues and check on ways to get started with Quality function deployment.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your New Product Development activities?
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Requirements engineering strategies and get going.
Requirements management Critical Criteria:
Start Requirements management tasks and probe Requirements management strategic alliances.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once New Product Development is underway?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations New Product Development values?
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
– Why are New Product Development skills important?
Social design Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Social design governance and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Social design results.
– Do the New Product Development decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a New Product Development study?
– How do we maintain New Product Developments Integrity?
Soft launch Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Soft launch management and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Soft launch projects.
– Think about the functions involved in your New Product Development project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What are the business goals New Product Development is aiming to achieve?
Stevens Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Survey Stevens Institute of Technology quality and create a map for yourself.
Supply chain Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Supply chain results and arbitrate Supply chain techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– The pharmaceutical industry is also taking advantage of digital progress. It is using IoT for supply chain security in packaging and tracking of drugs. There are new companies using computer chips in pills for tracking adherence to drug regimens and associated biometrics. Using this as an example, how will we use and protect this sensitive data?
– How is the complex digital supply chain -where multiple downstream providers provide services for each other and data residence and transmission points are increasingly obscure -being dealt with from an audit perspective?
– Now that organizations have fine-tuned human performance, supply chain, operations, processes, cycle time, and other targeted areas, how can they continue to improve performance?
– To change the nature of the relationship in the supply chain where should we go and what leverage opportunity could be applied?
– How do supply chain management systems coordinate planning, production, and logistics with suppliers?
– How can sluggish supply chains be empowered by IoT to make them more transparent and responsive?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– What are the roles of suppliers and supply chain partners in CRM?
– Do any suppliers in the supply chain have a dominating position?
– What and where are the value changes in the supply chain?
– What is our current position within our supply chain?
– What is TESCM tax efficient supply chain management?
– In HW, SW & Services we source from a global supply chain?
– What does the supply chain do with product data?
User-centered design Critical Criteria:
Dissect User-centered design projects and differentiate in coordinating User-centered design.
– Who will provide the final approval of New Product Development deliverables?
– How do we go about Comparing New Product Development approaches/solutions?
User experience Critical Criteria:
Merge User experience failures and spearhead techniques for implementing User experience.
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What is the difference between information architecture and user experience design?
– What are the potential impacts to user experience by using a cloud-based service?
– What are the problems when integrating Agile Development and User Experience?
– Agile-User Experience Design: With or Without a Usability Expert in the Team?
– What are the best-practices for creating a good User Experience?
– What does User Experience do?
– What is User Experience?
Verification and validation Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Verification and validation management and perfect Verification and validation conflict management.
– How do we Improve New Product Development service perception, and satisfaction?
Virtual product development Critical Criteria:
Audit Virtual product development projects and question.
– How can the value of New Product Development be defined?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Guard Voice of the customer failures and adopt an insight outlook.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the New Product Development Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
New Product Development External links:
Our Work: New Product Development | PDT
Association of International Product Marketing & Management External links:
AIPMM – Association Of International Product Marketing & Management · January 12 at 3:00pm · Be prepared for everything 2018 has to offer with an AIPMM membership.
Best practice External links:
Best Practices — Attorneys Title I North Carolina
Best Practices – Independence Title
ALTA – Best Practices
Brand management External links:
Watson Creative – Brand Management and Creative Agency
Choice modelling External links:
[PDF]Journal of Choice Modelling – Econometrics Laboratory, …
Is Biogeme good for Choice Modelling? – researchgate.net
Consumer good External links:
Consumer Goods – Investopedia
Boytone Electronics and Consumer Goods
Retail and Consumer Goods | UPS Solutions
Customer requirement External links:
Critical Customer Requirement (CCR) – SurveyMethods.com
Customer value proposition External links:
Our Customer Value Proposition | BAC Florida Bank
[PDF]The Customer Value Proposition
Design for assembly External links:
Design for assembly (Book, 1983) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Detailed Design For Assembly Guidelines
Design for manufacturability External links:
Design for Manufacturability (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Design For Manufacturability – Sheet Metal Guidelines
PCB Design For Manufacturability
Design for six sigma External links:
Design for Six Sigma: A Roadmap for Product Development
[PDF]Design For Six Sigma (DFSS) – HKSQ
Design for Six sigma (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
Detailed design document External links:
Detailed Design Document – TheFreeDictionary
[PDF]Your detailed design document must include the following
Detailed Design Document Format
Engineering design External links:
Dannenbaum – Civil Engineering Design | Texas
Industrial design External links:
Home | TXS INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
Department of Industrial Design – MSU Denver – Homepage
Integrated Authority File External links:
Integrated Authority File (GND) – Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
MEDLARS indexing integrated authority file : chemical section
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
Integrated product team External links:
[PDF]Integrated Product Team Effectiveness in the …
Integrated Product Team (IPT) – AcqNotes
Integrated product team
http://An Integrated Product Team (IPT) is a multidisciplinary group of people who are collectively responsible for delivering a defined product or process. IPTs are used in complex development programs/projects for review and decision making. The emphasis of the IPT is on involvement of all stakeholders (users, customers, management, developers, contractors) in a collaborative forum.
Market opportunity External links:
What is market opportunity analysis? | Reference.com
COAGX Caldwell & Orkin Market Opportunity Fund COAGX …
What is Market Opportunity? definition and meaning
Market penetration External links:
Market Penetration – Commentary Magazine
Ansoff Matrix – Market Penetration Strategy
Market research External links:
The Arcview Group | Cannabis Investment & Market Research
Market Overview & Stock Market Research | Scottrade
Research Now: Online Market Research Company
Market share External links:
Market Share – Investopedia
Increase Title Production, Growth & Market Share | Data Trace
Market Share Reports in Title Insurance – HDEP International
National Diet Library External links:
National Diet Library law. (Book, 1961) [WorldCat.org]
The National Diet Library, Tokyo, Japan, 1949
Opening Hours & Library Holidays｜National Diet Library
Pro-innovation bias External links:
Pro-innovation bias – Revolvy
What is PRO-INNOVATION BIAS? What does PRO …
Pro-Innovation Bias – Sparkonit
Process management External links:
Sales Process Management | ProspectStream
Process Management System | InTechOpen – Open Science …
Product Development and Management Association External links:
Product Development and Management Association – …
Product design External links:
Product Design and Development | Key Tech
Product Design and Development by PDT | PDT
Product lifecycle External links:
Product Lifecycle Services | Accenture
CMPRO Product Lifecycle Management Software by PSA Inc.
Agile Product Lifecycle Management
Product management External links:
Master’s Degree in Drug Development & Product Management
World Class Product Management Training | Product Focus
Product Management | Careers at U.S. Bank
Product strategy External links:
What Is Product Strategy? – Examples & Definition – …
Quality function deployment External links:
[PDF]A TUTORIAL ON QUALITY FUNCTION DEPLOYMENT
Requirements engineering External links:
[PDF]Collaborative Requirements Engineering – NIST
Requirements Engineering (eBook, 2002) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements management External links:
iRise – Best prototyping tool + inline requirements management
[PDF]Requirements Management Plan PPM Version 2
Social design External links:
RESEARCH | EXPLORING SOCIAL DESIGN
DSI / Social Design
Space2b Social Design – Home | Facebook
Soft launch External links:
Soft Launch Vs. Hard Launch | Chron.com
The PR Secrets to a Successful Soft Launch – Entrepreneur
Stevens Institute of Technology External links:
Stevens Institute of Technology Home
Stevens Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology – Home | Facebook
Supply chain External links:
CaseStack Supply Chain Solutions
Supply Chain Solutions | UPS United Problem Solvers™
Welcome to UPS Supply Chain Solutions
User-centered design External links:
User-Centered Design Basics | Usability.gov
User experience External links:
User Experience Design
Google User Experience Research
Verification and validation External links:
[PDF]Verification and Validation – University of California, Irvine
International Address Verification and Validation | Experian
Virtual product development External links:
Immersive virtual product development – ScienceDirect
Voice of the customer External links:
Voice of the Customer Technology of the Future | Qualtrics
Voice of the Customer: Have You Asked Enough Questions?
http://www.isixsigma.com › Methodology › VOC/Customer Focus