What is involved in IT Facilities Management
Find out what the related areas are that IT Facilities Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IT Facilities Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IT Facilities Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IT Facilities Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IT Facilities Management related domains to cover and 129 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IT Facilities Management, Facility management, AM/FM/GIS, Activity-based working, Activity relationship chart, British Institute of Facilities Management, Building information modeling, Business continuity, Computerized maintenance management system, Cost reduction, Environmental stewardship, Global Facility Management Association, Human factor, Human resources, Information and communications technology, Interdisciplinary, International Facility Management Association, International Organization for Standardization, Janitor, National Diet Library, Physical plant, Project management, Property management, Real estate:
IT Facilities Management Critical Criteria:
Investigate IT Facilities Management visions and overcome IT Facilities Management skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of IT Facilities Management product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Who needs to know about IT Facilities Management ?
– What are our IT Facilities Management Processes?
Facility management Critical Criteria:
Guide Facility management issues and improve Facility management service perception.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that IT Facilities Management objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What are the short and long-term IT Facilities Management goals?
– Why should we adopt a IT Facilities Management framework?
AM/FM/GIS Critical Criteria:
Trace AM/FM/GIS visions and catalog AM/FM/GIS activities.
– Do we all define IT Facilities Management in the same way?
– How to deal with IT Facilities Management Changes?
Activity-based working Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Activity-based working tasks and pioneer acquisition of Activity-based working systems.
– What are the disruptive IT Facilities Management technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How do we ensure that implementations of IT Facilities Management products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What are specific IT Facilities Management Rules to follow?
Activity relationship chart Critical Criteria:
See the value of Activity relationship chart leadership and find answers.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect IT Facilities Management workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving IT Facilities Management forward?
– What are current IT Facilities Management Paradigms?
British Institute of Facilities Management Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in British Institute of Facilities Management projects and integrate design thinking in British Institute of Facilities Management innovation.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the IT Facilities Management process?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your IT Facilities Management activities?
Building information modeling Critical Criteria:
Boost Building information modeling planning and balance specific methods for improving Building information modeling results.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of IT Facilities Management that make it risky?
– Is there any existing IT Facilities Management governance structure?
Business continuity Critical Criteria:
Track Business continuity goals and attract Business continuity skills.
– Who will be responsible for leading the various bcp teams (e.g., crisis/emergency, recovery, technology, communications, facilities, Human Resources, business units and processes, Customer Service)?
– We should have adequate and well-tested disaster recovery and business resumption plans for all major systems and have remote facilities to limit the effect of disruptive events. Do we comply?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to IT Facilities Management? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Do you have a written business continuity/disaster recovery plan that includes procedures to be followed in the event of a disruptive computer incident?
– Does our business continuity and/or disaster recovery plan (bcp/drp) address the timely recovery of its it functions in the event of a disaster?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Do our business continuity andor disaster recovery plan (bcp/drp) address the timely recovery of our it functions in the event of a disaster?
– What programs/projects/departments/groups have some or all responsibility for business continuity/Risk Management/organizational resilience?
– Which data center management activity involves eliminating single points of failure to ensure business continuity?
– How will management prepare employees for a disaster, reduce the overall risks, and shorten the recovery window?
– What is the role of digital document management in business continuity planning management?
– Has business continuity thinking and planning become too formulaic?
– What is business continuity planning and why is it important?
– Has business continuity been considered for this eventuality?
– What do we really want from Service Management?
– How to Secure IT Facilities Management?
Computerized maintenance management system Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Computerized maintenance management system failures and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Computerized maintenance management system services.
– What management system can we use to leverage the IT Facilities Management experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How do we manage IT Facilities Management Knowledge Management (KM)?
Cost reduction Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Cost reduction issues and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Cost reduction.
– In addition, CSPs are often challenged to reduce their overheads and operational costs. Cost reduction initiatives can be difficult to manage and it is essential to target the right areas. Where can costs reasonably be reduced or margins improved without any service disruption or without affecting service levels?
– We are are often challenged to reduce our overheads and operational costs. Cost reduction initiatives can be difficult to manage and it is essential to target the right areas. Where can costs reasonably be reduced or margins improved without any service disruption or without affecting service levels?
– What is your spending on genuine new products versus product renewals (improvements and replacements), or product extensions, or product maintenance, or cost reductions and process improvements?
– How do we measure improved IT Facilities Management service perception, and satisfaction?
– Can low gross margin % products be improved by price increases or cost reductions?
Environmental stewardship Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Environmental stewardship projects and intervene in Environmental stewardship processes and leadership.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding IT Facilities Management?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of IT Facilities Management?
Global Facility Management Association Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Global Facility Management Association tactics and get out your magnifying glass.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to IT Facilities Management?
– Does IT Facilities Management analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Human factor Critical Criteria:
Look at Human factor issues and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Human factor information.
– Does IT Facilities Management create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Were adequate human factors considered in the design of the equipment?
– How would one define IT Facilities Management leadership?
Human resources Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Human resources management and integrate design thinking in Human resources innovation.
– Do we have processes for managing Human Resources across the business. (eg. staffing skills and numbers are known and predictions are made of future needs? new staff are inducted and trained to suit needs? succession planning is catered for?
– Have we adopted and promoted the companys culture of integrity management, including ethics, business practices and Human Resources evaluations?
– What finance, procurement and Human Resources business processes should be included in the scope of a erp solution?
– Does the cloud service provider have necessary security controls on their human resources?
– What are strategies that we can undertake to reduce job fatigue and reduced productivity?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– Is the crisis management team comprised of members from Human Resources?
– How is The staffs ability and response to handle questions or requests?
– What is the important thing that human resources management should do?
– From what types of sources does the company collect personal data?
– How does the company provide notice of its information practices?
– Ease of contacting the Human Resources staff members?
– Are we complying with existing security policies?
– What does the pyramid of information look like?
– Is our company developing its Human Resources?
– What other outreach efforts would be helpful?
– How is the Content updated of the hr website?
– Will an algorithm shield us from liability?
– How to deal with diversity?
– What is personal data?
Information and communications technology Critical Criteria:
Drive Information and communications technology tactics and gather Information and communications technology models .
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your IT Facilities Management processes?
– Is there a IT Facilities Management Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Have the types of risks that may impact IT Facilities Management been identified and analyzed?
Interdisciplinary Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Interdisciplinary management and separate what are the business goals Interdisciplinary is aiming to achieve.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once IT Facilities Management is underway?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed IT Facilities Management opportunities costing us money?
– How do we go about Comparing IT Facilities Management approaches/solutions?
– Interdisciplinary review of proposed change complete?
International Facility Management Association Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase International Facility Management Association tactics and figure out ways to motivate other International Facility Management Association users.
– what is the best design framework for IT Facilities Management organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What is the source of the strategies for IT Facilities Management strengthening and reform?
– How important is IT Facilities Management to the user organizations mission?
International Organization for Standardization Critical Criteria:
Audit International Organization for Standardization leadership and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of International Organization for Standardization.
– When a IT Facilities Management manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Who will provide the final approval of IT Facilities Management deliverables?
Janitor Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Janitor outcomes and define Janitor competency-based leadership.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this IT Facilities Management process?
– Why are IT Facilities Management skills important?
– How much does IT Facilities Management help?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate National Diet Library tasks and shift your focus.
– What about IT Facilities Management Analysis of results?
Physical plant Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Physical plant adoptions and change contexts.
– Think about the people you identified for your IT Facilities Management project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– When considering our organizational capability to make desired changes, do we ask the following questions: are the staffing level, funding, and physical plant potential assets or deterrents, and to what degree?
– Will IT Facilities Management have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Are we Assessing IT Facilities Management and Risk?
Project management Critical Criteria:
Own Project management tasks and shift your focus.
– How do you merge agile, lightweight processes with standard industrial processes without either killing agility or undermining the years youve spent defining and refining your systems and software process assets?
– How can a company arrange a new project if the management does not know when they will finish the current projects and when the employees will be free to take on a new project?
– Are there contextual conditions, such as the size of the project or nature of the task, that signal a better fit for agile versus traditional project management approaches?
– Originally, agile project management required collocated teams. How could a new product or service be developed in the 21st century without them?
– Are there process theory explanations for differentiating better from less successful ways to implement agile techniques?
– So, if the project no longer needs a detailed master project plan, why does it need a project manager?
– How are agile principles being applied in large projects and multi-site projects?
– So, how do we adapt project management techniques to deal with this key reality?
– How difficult is agile project management for outsourced or off-shored projects?
– Do project management and Change Management look the same for every initiative?
– Can agile project management be adopted by industries other than software development?
– Why would anyone want to discard the benefits of collocated teams?
– Operationally, what does project management integration mean?
– Can scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– What is an economic aspect of Project Management?
– What is Turnkey Operation in Project Management?
– So then, what is a virtual team?
– What is Project Management?
– Needs project management?
Property management Critical Criteria:
Guide Property management issues and adjust implementation of Property management.
– Is an asset management process(es) in place to inventory and manage this new asset (investment) from a property management perspective, to provide Configuration Management support, and to monitor system performance?
– For your IT Facilities Management project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Are assumptions made in IT Facilities Management stated explicitly?
Real estate Critical Criteria:
Meet over Real estate governance and finalize the present value of growth of Real estate.
– How can you negotiate IT Facilities Management successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How do we Identify specific IT Facilities Management investment and emerging trends?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IT Facilities Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Facility management External links:
RFMSS – Range Facility Management Support System
Facility management (Book, 1995) [WorldCat.org]
International Facility Management Association – Official …
AM/FM/GIS External links:
http://AM/FM/GIS stands for Automated Mapping/Facilities Management and is a subset of GIS, which is associated with public utilities like gas, electric, water and telecommunications. The term AM/FM/GIS mostly refers to GIS software that allows utility users to digitize, manage and analyze their utility network data.
PSI: AM/FM/GIS Data Conversion Solutions – getitdone.com
AM/FM/GIS equipment/services | Pipeline & Gas Journal
Activity relationship chart External links:
Activity Relationship Chart – Teknik Industri – YouTube
ARC – Activity Relationship Chart | AcronymFinder
Activity Relationship Chart (ARC) – YouTube
British Institute of Facilities Management External links:
British Institute of Facilities Management – YouTube
The British Institute of Facilities Management – KPINTAR
British Institute of Facilities Management – Google+
Building information modeling External links:
Building information modeling (eBook, 2014) …
Building information modeling (Book, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
Business continuity External links:
Business Continuity Plan | FEMA.gov
What is business continuity? | The BCI
Business Continuity and Other Disclosures – Pershing LLC
Computerized maintenance management system External links:
Computerized maintenance management system – …
Cost reduction External links:
Consolidated Concepts – Cost Reduction Specialists for …
Capitalized Cost Reduction Definition – investopedia.com
Cost Reduction Ideas From Corporate Finance Leaders
Environmental stewardship External links:
Environmental Stewardship | Whole Foods Market
Environmental Stewardship | Mohonk
Environmental Stewardship | The Hartford
Global Facility Management Association External links:
Global Facility Management Association (Global FM) – …
Human factor External links:
FAA TV: NTSB The Human Factor
The Human Factor Report 2017 | Proofpoint
Six Rules for Mid-Year Performance Review – The Human Factor
Human resources External links:
Human Resources | Medical University of South Carolina
myDHR | Maryland Department of Human Resources
UAB – Human Resources – Careers
Information and communications technology External links:
Information and Communications Technology master’s …
Information and Communications Technology Division
Interdisciplinary External links:
Home | Southwest Interdisciplinary Research Center
Home — School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies
Representative Payee Interdisciplinary Training
International Facility Management Association External links:
International Facility Management Association
International Facility Management Association – Official …
International Organization for Standardization External links:
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
MDMC – International Organization for Standardization …
ISO-International Organization for Standardization
Janitor External links:
Title Janitor Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Janitor or Cleaner Job Description | Americas Job Exchange
20 Best Title:(Janitor) jobs (Hiring Now!) | Simply Hired
National Diet Library External links:
National Diet Library | library, Tokyo, Japan | Britannica.com
National Diet Library law. (Book, 1961) [WorldCat.org]
ndl.go.jp – 国立国会図書館―National Diet Library
Physical plant External links:
Employee Directory | Office of the Physical Plant
Campus Physical Plant Division | Facilities Management
Physical Plant Home – Physical Plant – UMass Amherst
Property management External links:
Franklin, WI Property Management – YP.com
Franklin, WI Property Management
The 10 Best Property Management Companies in Franklin, WI …
Real estate External links:
Title(s) – best way to hold real estate
http://arctic.org/~dean/sircam/Title(s) – best way to hold real estate.html
Abstract of Title in Real Estate – The Balance