What is involved in Cloud Migration
Find out what the related areas are that Cloud Migration connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Cloud Migration thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Cloud Migration journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Cloud Migration leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Cloud Migration related domains to cover and 108 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Cloud Migration, HP CloudSystem, HP 3PAR, HP Cloud Service Automation Software, HP Converged Systems, HP Helion, HP ProLiant, HP StorageWorks, HP Systems Insight Manager, Hewlett-Packard, Hypervisor, Infrastructure as a service, Multitenancy, Opsware, Platform as a service, Private cloud, Public cloud, Service-level agreement, Software-as-a-service, Virtualization:
Cloud Migration Critical Criteria:
Check Cloud Migration risks and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Cloud Migration projects.
– Can your application be packaged into a virtual machine (VM) instance and run on cloud infrastructure or does it need specialized hardware and/or special access to hardware that the AWS cloud cannot provide?
– How do you prove to a client or an auditor that adequate security measures are in place, now that this is not only your problem, but a shared responsibility between you and a cloud provider?
– Identity theft could also be an inside job. Employees at big companies that host e-mail services have physical access to e-mail accounts. How do you know nobodys reading it?
– Who owns the data and how do they assure that the data is not made available to nascent third parties who have no business accessing it?
– What are the service models offered by the provider (e.g., infrastructure-as-a-service, dataas-a-service, platform-as-a-service)?
– If the application is used to generate revenue, is the move to cloud computing expected to increase that revenue?
– How hard is it for an intruder to steal confidential data from the cloud providers systems (external threat)?
– How much effort (in terms of building new or modifying existing tools) is required to move the application?
– Are you able to map the current architecture of the candidate application to cloud architecture?
– Can you package and deploy your application into an AMI so it can run on an Amazon EC2 instance?
– What are the different RDBMS (commercial and open source) options available in the cloud today?
– Is the migration staff experienced with the technologies available on the cloud platform?
– How can I optimize my application and database to run in more elastic fashion?
– Monitoring Method: How will we determine that success has been achieved?
– Is there demand for Amazon AWS infrastructure management services?
– How many and where are located the providers data centers?
– Can the cloud provide us a search capability easily?
– What are the latency and bandwidth requirements?
– Required Skills: Who Do We Need?
– Have You Got the Right Tools?
HP CloudSystem Critical Criteria:
Deliberate HP CloudSystem issues and probe using an integrated framework to make sure HP CloudSystem is getting what it needs.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Cloud Migration strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What are specific Cloud Migration Rules to follow?
HP 3PAR Critical Criteria:
Focus on HP 3PAR goals and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential HP 3PAR information.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Cloud Migration into the services that we provide?
– Will Cloud Migration deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Cloud Migration Management?
HP Cloud Service Automation Software Critical Criteria:
Value HP Cloud Service Automation Software tasks and oversee HP Cloud Service Automation Software management by competencies.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Cloud Migration?
– What threat is Cloud Migration addressing?
– How much does Cloud Migration help?
HP Converged Systems Critical Criteria:
Model after HP Converged Systems tactics and get answers.
– In a project to restructure Cloud Migration outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Is Supporting Cloud Migration documentation required?
– Why are Cloud Migration skills important?
HP Helion Critical Criteria:
Coach on HP Helion tasks and sort HP Helion activities.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Cloud Migration project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Cloud Migration project lifecycle?
– Does Cloud Migration create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What are our needs in relation to Cloud Migration skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
HP ProLiant Critical Criteria:
Focus on HP ProLiant strategies and tour deciding if HP ProLiant progress is made.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Cloud Migration. How do we gain traction?
– For your Cloud Migration project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Does Cloud Migration appropriately measure and monitor risk?
HP StorageWorks Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on HP StorageWorks quality and know what your objective is.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Cloud Migration is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Can we do Cloud Migration without complex (expensive) analysis?
HP Systems Insight Manager Critical Criteria:
Dissect HP Systems Insight Manager visions and drive action.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Cloud Migration leaders?
– How will you measure your Cloud Migration effectiveness?
Hewlett-Packard Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Hewlett-Packard goals and devote time assessing Hewlett-Packard and its risk.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Cloud Migration objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Who needs to know about Cloud Migration ?
Hypervisor Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Hypervisor strategies and optimize Hypervisor leadership as a key to advancement.
– How can you protect the hypervisor (a key component for cloud infrastructures) which interacts and manages multiple environments in the cloud?
– Which type of attack could enable the installation of a rogue hypervisor and take control of underlying server resources?
– Which hypervisor component is responsible for performing binary translation of instructions that can not be virtualized?
– What is a limitation of using a backup agent on a hypervisor when backing up virtual machine (vm) data?
– What enables a virtual machine to be portable across physical machines running the same hypervisor?
– Is a Cloud Migration Team Work effort in place?
Infrastructure as a service Critical Criteria:
Chat re Infrastructure as a service projects and work towards be a leading Infrastructure as a service expert.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Cloud Migration experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Are there recognized Cloud Migration problems?
– What are our Cloud Migration Processes?
Multitenancy Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Multitenancy risks and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Cloud Migration strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Cloud Migration is underway?
– Is Cloud Migration dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Opsware Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Opsware tasks and get the big picture.
– Think about the functions involved in your Cloud Migration project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What are the short and long-term Cloud Migration goals?
– How to Secure Cloud Migration?
Platform as a service Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Platform as a service adoptions and prioritize challenges of Platform as a service.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Cloud Migration processes of our organization?
– What are the barriers to increased Cloud Migration production?
– How do we go about Comparing Cloud Migration approaches/solutions?
Private cloud Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Private cloud management and define Private cloud competency-based leadership.
– What is the security gap between private cloud cloud computing versus client server computing architectures?
– How will the switch happen to public cloud when the private cloud infrastructure gets mixed out?
– When is utility computing preferable to running a private cloud?
– Are assumptions made in Cloud Migration stated explicitly?
– what is the future of private cloud?
– What is private cloud?
Public cloud Critical Criteria:
Refer to Public cloud governance and perfect Public cloud conflict management.
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– Which applications are best suited for the internal data center, and which ones make sense for the public cloud?
– In the case of public clouds, will the hosting service provider meet their regulatory compliance requirements?
– Do I establish a private (or community) cloud as a staging platform as we learn more about public clouds?
– What is the source of the strategies for Cloud Migration strengthening and reform?
– What vendors make products that address the Cloud Migration needs?
– How can the value of Cloud Migration be defined?
– Is the public cloud more secure?
Service-level agreement Critical Criteria:
Focus on Service-level agreement planning and stake your claim.
– In terms of service availability, can you get your vendor to sign a service-level agreement?
– How do we measure improved Cloud Migration service perception, and satisfaction?
Software-as-a-service Critical Criteria:
Scan Software-as-a-service goals and gather Software-as-a-service models .
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Cloud Migration goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Think of your Cloud Migration project. what are the main functions?
– Would you consider any non software-as-a-service options?
Virtualization Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Virtualization outcomes and acquire concise Virtualization education.
– How can you verify that the virtualization platform or cloud management software running on the systems you use, which you did not install and do not control, does not contain malware?
– An organization requires that each user needs to access their own copy of os and applications installed on a centralized location. which virtualization solution will you recommend?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What impact has emerging technology (e.g., cloud computing, virtualization and mobile computing) had on your companys ITRM program over the past 12 months?
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– Change in technology and prices over time: what will billing units be like for the higher-level virtualization clouds?
– Does the provider extend their vulnerability and configuration management process to the virtualization platform?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Cloud Migration, including any consulting or professional services?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further and enable saas adoption?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further enable saas adoption?
– Should I proceed with virtualization before consolidation, then consolidation before cloud migration?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Cloud Migration activities?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Cloud Migration activities?
– Do the providers virtualization appliances inspect all packets?
– Which product provides an application virtualization solution?
– Which statement is true about user state virtualization?
– Protect virtualization platforms, such as vmware?
– Which virtualization solution will you recommend?
– Why microsoft virtualization & management?
– Will database virtualization take off?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Cloud Migration Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Cloud Migration External links:
Multi-Cloud Migration Solution – bmc.com
http://Ad · www.bmc.com/cloud/migrate
IBM Cloud Adoption – IBM.com – Start Your Cloud Migration
http://Ad · www.ibm.com/Cloud/Adoption
Cloud Migration and Disaster Recovery
HP CloudSystem External links:
HP CloudSystem Foundation | HP® Argentina
HP 3PAR External links:
HP 3PAR Flash – BrightTALK
HP Cloud Service Automation Software External links:
HP Cloud Service Automation Software – WOW.com
HP Cloud Service Automation Software – revolvy.com
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/HP Cloud Service Automation Software
HP Converged Systems External links:
[PDF]HP Converged Systems – Hewlett Packard
iT1 + HP Converged Systems + ‘We Do Men, The Man Spa’
iT1 | VMWare vCloud Air | HP Converged Systems
HP Helion External links:
[PDF]HP Helion Cloud | IT Case Study | Mendix | HP
HP Helion Network – Partners | HP® Argentina
[PDF]HP Guide – HP Helion Ready Program for Solution …
HP ProLiant External links:
HP Proliant community string |THWACK
HP Proliant ML150 G6 | eBay
HP ProLiant Server and BladeSystem Management …
HP StorageWorks External links:
[PDF]HP StorageWorks EVA Hardware Providers: Quick …
[PDF]HP StorageWorks 4Gb PCI-E Host Bus Adapters
[PDF]HP StorageWorks Modular Smart Array 1000 …
HP Systems Insight Manager External links:
[PDF]Changing the HP Systems Insight Manager 5.0 …
HP Systems Insight Manager Feedback Survey – …
Why is HP Systems Insight Manager not receiving SNMP …
Hypervisor External links:
What is a Hypervisor? – Definition from Techopedia
Free vSphere Hypervisor | VMware
Infrastructure as a service External links:
What is IaaS? Infrastructure as a Service | Microsoft Azure
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
Cloud-Based Infrastructure as a Service Comes to …
Multitenancy External links:
Easy Way to Understand Multitenancy – YouTube
Opsware External links:
The Opsware Mafia – Forbes
How to uninstall Opsware agent – Quora
Opsware | Crunchbase
Platform as a service External links:
Azure Platform as a Service – Create Your Free Account Today
http://Ad · azure.microsoft.com/Services/PaaS
Azure Platform as a Service – Create Your Free Account Today
http://Ad · azure.microsoft.com/Services/PaaS
Platform As a Service Tech – go.oracle.com
http://Ad · go.oracle.com/PaaS_Benefits/eBook
Private cloud External links:
Microsoft Private Cloud Training & Certifications | Microsoft
antsle: The Private Cloud Server, Designed for Developers.
Private Cloud Solutions – rackspace.com
http://Ad · www.rackspace.com/Private_Cloud
Public cloud External links:
Public Cloud Convenience, Private Cloud Control
What is public cloud? – Definition from WhatIs.com
HyperGrid – Public Cloud Experience, Everywhere
Virtualization External links:
Server Virtualization—Windows Server 2016 | Microsoft
VMware virtualization on Azure | Blog | Microsoft Azure
Nested Virtualization in Azure | Blog | Microsoft Azure