What is involved in Functional safety
Find out what the related areas are that Functional safety connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Functional safety thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Functional safety journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Functional safety leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Functional safety related domains to cover and 88 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Functional safety, Automotive Safety Integrity Level, Automotive industry, Certification, Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis, Failure mode and effects analysis, Hazard and Operability Study, IEC 61508, ISO 26262, Mean time between failures, Safety, Safety Integrity Level, Spurious Trip Level, System, TÜV SÜD:
Functional safety Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Functional safety governance and prioritize challenges of Functional safety.
– What are the key elements of your Functional safety performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Do we have past Functional safety Successes?
Automotive Safety Integrity Level Critical Criteria:
Analyze Automotive Safety Integrity Level projects and slay a dragon.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Functional safety product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Who needs to know about Functional safety ?
Automotive industry Critical Criteria:
Meet over Automotive industry quality and budget for Automotive industry challenges.
– How do we manage Functional safety Knowledge Management (KM)?
– How do we go about Comparing Functional safety approaches/solutions?
– What is Effective Functional safety?
Certification Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Certification tactics and adjust implementation of Certification.
– What is the framework we use for general Cybersecurity certifications that integrate both knowledge and skill while predicting constraints of innate abilities on performance, and do we need specific certifications?
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification, even if our Service Desk, infrastructure management and applications management functions are located in different countries?
– For any workstation or server entered, have you received a completed hopkins hosted application checklist (see appendix) or equivalent certification or documentation?
– How do codes of ethics, professional organizations, certification, and licensing affect the ethical behavior of professionals?
– Regulatory compliance: Is the cloud vendor willing to undergo external audits and/or security certifications?
– Does a supplier having an ISO 9001 or AS9100 certification automatically satisfy this requirement?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– Highlight policy violations to users during the context of certification campaigns?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Functional safety effort?
– Is the service provider eligible for certification under the scheme?
– What has been done as regards standards and voluntary certification?
– What are the best it certifications for cloud security knowledge?
– WILL WE NEED TO CERTIFY COMPLIANCE BY CERTIFICATION BODIES?
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification?
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
– Will we be able to seek ISOIEC 20000 certification?
– What is the scope of certification?
– What are our Functional safety Processes?
– What is ISO certification?
Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis Critical Criteria:
Detail Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis planning and plan concise Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis education.
– How do we Improve Functional safety service perception, and satisfaction?
Failure mode and effects analysis Critical Criteria:
Add value to Failure mode and effects analysis outcomes and finalize the present value of growth of Failure mode and effects analysis.
– For your Functional safety project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Functional safety delivery for example is new software needed?
– How much does Functional safety help?
Hazard and Operability Study Critical Criteria:
Grasp Hazard and Operability Study governance and figure out ways to motivate other Hazard and Operability Study users.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Functional safety processes of our organization?
– Think of your Functional safety project. what are the main functions?
– Does our organization need more Functional safety education?
IEC 61508 Critical Criteria:
Disseminate IEC 61508 visions and optimize IEC 61508 leadership as a key to advancement.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Functional safety does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Functional safety study?
ISO 26262 Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about ISO 26262 visions and proactively manage ISO 26262 risks.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Functional safety goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Do Functional safety rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– How do we go about Securing Functional safety?
Mean time between failures Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Mean time between failures risks and figure out ways to motivate other Mean time between failures users.
– Think about the people you identified for your Functional safety project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Functional safety Management?
– How would one define Functional safety leadership?
Safety Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Safety decisions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– How do you improve workforce health, safety, and security? What are your performance measures and improvement goals for each of these workforce needs and what are any significant differences in these factors and performance measures or targets for different workplace environments?
– How do you use other indicators, such as workforce retention, absenteeism, grievances, safety, and productivity, to assess and improve workforce engagement?
– Will the change significantly degrade safety or negatively impact adequate protection of workers, the environment, or the public?
– How do you balance the total comprehensive view of security Risk Management that incorporates safety as well as privacy in that?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Functional safety products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Does Functional safety analysis show the relationships among important Functional safety factors?
– Will our actions, process, program or procedure affect the health, safety and welfare of another?
– Are there any sight distance or physical obstructions that will result in a safety problem?
– Is maximizing Functional safety protection the same as minimizing Functional safety loss?
– What characterizes the work environment in the plants with the best safety records?
– What are the three most important things we need to focus on to improve safety?
– Are facilities and equipment adequately maintained for safety and sanitation?
– Repair, including health/safety/environmental compliance?
– Do you need to address end-user safety concerns?
– How do we Lead with Functional safety in Mind?
Safety Integrity Level Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Safety Integrity Level management and triple focus on important concepts of Safety Integrity Level relationship management.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Functional safety models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What are the usability implications of Functional safety actions?
– Is Supporting Functional safety documentation required?
Spurious Trip Level Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Spurious Trip Level failures and finalize specific methods for Spurious Trip Level acceptance.
– How will you know that the Functional safety project has been successful?
– Do we all define Functional safety in the same way?
– What is our Functional safety Strategy?
System Critical Criteria:
Group System visions and find out.
– How do you merge agile, lightweight processes with standard industrial processes without either killing agility or undermining the years youve spent defining and refining your systems and software process assets?
– Identify the different workloads and how they need to interact. Which models are appropriate based on their security and trust requirements and the systems they need to interface to?
– Do you want a selected vendor to host all of the content (i.e. streaming video, wbt, blogs, chat rooms, etc…)?
– How can I move part of or an entire system to the cloud without disrupting or interrupting my current business?
– Does the current system allow for service cases to be opened in the CRM directly from the exchange site?
– Could a system or security malfunction or unavailability result in injury or death?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– What process must the company go through to obtain and implement a new system?
– What enables a virtual machine to directly access luns in a storage system?
– What technologies are available to support system development?
– How do you know that your coworkers hold the same perspective?
– Are you receiving a service-connected disability pension?
– How does cm get incorporated in the system life cycle?
– Can you provide a reference from a clergy member?
– Does the current CRM system contain a Web Portal?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– Why is Functional safety important for you now?
– Is the system subject to external regulation?
– What option is best?
TÜV SÜD Critical Criteria:
Recall TÜV SÜD failures and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging TÜV SÜD.
– How can you negotiate Functional safety successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How will you measure your Functional safety effectiveness?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Functional safety Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Functional safety External links:
[PDF]Functional Safety Solutions for the Process Control …
http://www.asco.com/ASCO Asset Library/asco-functional-safety-catalog.pdf
Functional Safety Copenhagen
Functional Safety Training | UK | eFunctionalSafety
Automotive Safety Integrity Level External links:
Automotive Safety Integrity Level – broom02.revolvy.com
https://broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Automotive Safety Integrity Level
Automotive Safety Integrity Level – Revolvy
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Automotive Safety Integrity Level
Automotive industry External links:
F&I Express : Digital Solutions for the Automotive Industry
DealerTrack – High-Value Solutions for the Automotive Industry
Jack Young Automotive industry Employment / Recruiting
Certification External links:
Free Printable Title Certification Form (PDF & WORD)
Certification – Texas Land Title Association
Failure mode, effects, and criticality analysis External links:
Failure Mode, Effects, and Criticality Analysis (FMECA)
Failure mode and effects analysis External links:
[PDF]Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
[PDF]FAILURE MODE AND EFFECTS ANALYSIS (FMEA)
Hazard and Operability Study External links:
Hazard and Operability Study (HAZOP) — SDS Consulting
What is Hazard and Operability Study (HAZOP)? – …
[PDF]HAZOP Hazard and Operability Study
IEC 61508 External links:
http://IEC 61508 is an international standard published by the International Electrotechnical Commission of rules applied in industry. It is titled Functional Safety of Electrical/Electronic/Programmable Electronic Safety-related Systems (E/E/PE, or E/E/PES).
http://IEC 61508 is an international standard published by the International Electrotechnical Commission of rules applied in industry. It is titled Functional Safety of Electrical/Electronic/Programmable Electronic Safety-related Systems.
[PDF]Results of the IEC 61508 Functional Safety Assessment
ISO 26262 External links:
Functional Safety/ISO 26262 – Mentor Graphics
Automotive Solutions including MISRA and ISO 26262 | …
ISO 26262 | Functional Safety | Quality-One
Mean time between failures External links:
Mean time between failures – Infor
CARE® Reliability Software | Mean Time Between Failures
Safety External links:
Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety …
Safety Integrity Level External links:
[PDF]UNDERSTANDING SAFETY INTEGRITY LEVEL – …
[PDF]Burner Management System Safety Integrity Level …
Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Short Training – YouTube
Spurious Trip Level External links:
Spurious Trip Level Trademark – Houtermans, Michel – …
System External links:
TÜV SÜD External links:
Contact | TÜV SÜD
TÜV SÜD – YouTube
Careers | TÜV SÜD America